- Currently represent clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), and state utility commissions in the Southeast.
- Frequently help utilities navigate the complex regime under the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
- Currently advise natural gas companies on FERC regulation, including interstate pipeline infrastructure, rates, and services, transactions and compliance matters, as well as rulemaking proceedings.
- Advised electric utility on FERC regulation regarding Open Access Transmission Tariff (OATT) administration, generator interconnection processes, market manipulation rules, electric reliability rules, and transmission planning.
- EPC contracts for combined cycle and simple cycle merchant power plants as well as major equipment purchase contracts for those plants, including contracts to purchase gas turbines, heat recovery steam generators, and SCR catalysts.
- Operation and maintenance (O&M) agreements for power plants.
- Information technology agreements and related advice to a major public utility and energy services company.
- Telecommunications contracts.
- Serve regularly as lender's counsel for lenders acting as administrative agents and participants in connection with financings for electric, gas and water utility companies for working capital, acquisition, letter of credit, lease, and off-balance sheet financings
- Represented a large investor-owned public utility that serves the Carolinas for more than 25 years as well as other investor-owned public utilities and electric membership corporations in litigation in state and federal courts in North Carolina and South Carolina involving:
- Represented an EPC contractor in construction disputes regarding merchant power plants.
Merchant Power Plant Development
- Real estate matters, including options to purchase, zoning, and land acquisition.
- Tax issues, including incentive programs, tax abatement, and tax planning.
- Water and air permits.
- EPC, O&M, and major equipment purchase contracts.
- Joint venture structuring.